what we believe
The purpose of this church is to worship God, to introduce Him to others through the teaching and preaching of His Word, and to provide an environment of Christian fellowship.
Zion Evangelical Church is non-denominational, with the freedom and desire to fellowship with other Christians.
Everyone is welcome to fellowship with us in our local church. Those who have accepted the gift of personal salvation and are willing to make a commitment for service in the church will be invited to join in the work.
We believe that our church is a local group of members of that one great BODY OF CHRIST, believers constituting the spiritual church of Jesus Christ.
We believe the following Statement of Faith:
1) We believe the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men, and the Divine and final authority for all Christian faith and life (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21)
2) We believe in one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and externally existing in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Deut. 6:4; Gen 1:1; 1 John 5:7; Matt. 3:16-17; 2 Cor. 13:14)
3) We believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and advocate. (John 1:14; Gal. 3:13; Heb. 9:10-12:28; Acts 1:19)
4) We believe that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, and during this age to convict men, regenerate the believing sinner, and indwell, guide, instruct and empower the believer for godly living and service. (John 16:13-14; John 16:11; Matt. 18:3; 1 Cor. 14)
5) We believe that man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is therefore lost and only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained. (Heb. 2:7-9; Gen. 6:5)
6) We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only those who receive Jesus are born of the Holy Spirit, and thus become children of God. (Heb. 9:22; 1 Peter 1:18; 2 Timothy 1:12)
7) We believe that the Lord’s Supper and Water Baptism are ordinances to be observed by the church during this present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation. (1 Cor. 11; Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:38, 41) Zion Evangelical Church leaves the question of/or mode of baptism up to the believer. Child dedication is accepted in the place of child baptism.
8) We believe that the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the body of Christ of which He is the head. (Acts 2:32-47; 1 Cor. 12:12-27)
9) We believe that only those who are thus members of the true church shall be eligible for membership in Zion Evangelical Church. (Col. 3:10-15; Acts 2:32-47)
10) We believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of the Church and that every local church has the right, under Christ, to decide and govern its own affairs. (Acts 14:27, 20:17, 20:28-32)
11) We believe in the personal and premillennial and imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and that this “blessed hope” has a vital bearing on the personal life and service of the believer. (Acts 1:11; 1 Thess. 4:16-18)
12) We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead; of the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord, of the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment. (John 5:28; Luke 24:36-43; 1 Cor. 15:20-24; Rev. 20:11-15)